Clogged drains can be a serious nuisance!
From the bathroom to the kitchen, a clogged drain can slow you down, leave unwanted residue behind, and cause all sorts of other problems. Gem Plumbing’s drain team can help you with all your drain needs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be sure to call Gem Plumbing at the first signs of a slowing drain to prevent a major clog or backup.
You might have a clogged drain if you notice any of these signs:
- Water begins to back up out of a sink drain
- Pools of water form around shower drains
- After forming pools, the water drains very slowly
- The toilet bubbles when you run the sink
- Drains make gurgling sounds, particularly after you run the washing machine or dishwasher
- Pools of water form on the floor close to a bathtub or sink
- Your kitchen sink has started to smell like rotten food (and running the disposal hasn’t helped)
There are a few steps you can try to clear your drains before you call a drain cleaning expert:
- Turn the faucet on and fill the sink up partly with water;
- If you have a double kitchen sink, plug one of the drains with a wet rag;
- If you’re trying to unclog the bathtub, plug the overflow hole with a wet rag;
- Next, use a cup plunger to plunge the open drain - work the plunger up and down several times, then pull it off. Repeat this step a few times
If your drain is still clogged, call Gem Plumbing for professional help. Remember, NEVER use chemical drain cleaners as they can be extremely harsh and cause corrosion to your pipes.
How to keep your drains from clogging
The best way to avoid unwanted and frustrating clogs is to perform regular preventative maintenance on your drains. This is the easiest way to keep your home plumbing system happy and healthy - and ultimately, clog-free. Check out the [Gem Home Advocate] membership program for more details about signing up for regular drain maintenance.
If your home isn’t brand new, it’s likely that your pipes are lined with years of buildup - from rust and hair to grease and other harsh minerals. This buildup can cause dangerous corrosion, leaving your pipes damaged. Regular maintenance can save you serious money in the long run by preventing costly repairs or pipe replacements. It also helps prevent plumbing emergencies.
Gem Plumbing is prepared to tackle all your drain cleaning needs. We recommend cleaning the following types of drains at least once a year:
- Bathroom Drains: Hair, soap scum, toothpaste, grime, toilet paper and other bathroom products can build up in your system and cause serious damage to your bathroom drains over time.
- Kitchen Drains: With soaps, fats, grease and food all going down the drain in your kitchen sink, the inner walls of your kitchen pipes can easily get clogged, causing unwanted backup - even if you run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Utility Room Drains: Dirt, debris, and other messes from daily life can clog up the floor drains in your basement, laundry room and/or utility room, leading to poor drainage and the potential for flooding.
We offer several drain cleaning solutions for all your drain problems:
Cable Machine Snaking: For clogs and stoppages in your tub, sink, or main drain lines, Gem uses our state-of-the-art Cable Snake Machine to clear the problem. We’ll then check the line with our Drain Vision system, where a tiny camera is inserted to verify the drain has been cleaned of all debris. Learn more about our Drain Vision system here.
Toilet Augering: For a typical toilet clog, we’ll start by checking the seal and toilet mechanics first. If the issue is in the drain line, our Cable Snake Machine can get it out.
Drain Stoppages: Clogged drains are common, especially in tubs and shower stalls where soap and hair can buildup and slow the drain. There are some simple tips [link to tips -- once page is built] you can try to unclear your drain, but for more serious stoppages, don’t hesitate to call Gem Plumbing.
High Pressure Hydro Jetting: For serious clogs in your sewer or drainage systems, we use High-Pressure Hydro Jetting to clear the line. These water lines can be long runs of 100 feet or more, underground, and inaccessible for snaking. Hydro Jetting blasts water at 4000 PSI through the pipe and easily removes large obstructions and years of sediment buildup in your drains. Hydro Jetting will clear any roots infiltrating your pipes to avoid costly damages. Afterwards, we check the pipe with a camera to ensure all debris has been cleared.
Tree Root Solutions
As pipes age and trees grow, tree roots will often creep into pipes in search of moisture and nutrients. Gem’s plumbers have seen how far tree roots can travel up pipes and how easily they slip in through the tiniest cracks and joints to infiltrate your system. Once a tree root discovers water, the tree will often step up root growth in that area to take advantage of the moisture. As the roots grow, they increase the size of the hole can can cause a major clog or even a burst pipe. It’s incredibly important to take care of tree roots right away, before they ruin your pipes.
- Rooter work and drain cleaning: The first step to remove the tree root is to punch through the root clog to clear the line and get your pipes functioning again. Next, we’ll investigate the extent of the tree root problem and recommend more permanent solutions.
- Hydro Jetting: For a long-term solution, your technician can clean the pipe using high pressure water jets. The Hydro Jetting machine will thoroughly scour the line to eliminate grease buildup, debris and tree roots. Learn more about our Hydro Jetting Solutions.