Reliable HVAC Company in Rhode Island & Massachusetts
Switching from an oil heating system to a gas-powered one is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly decision that can bring decades of savings. Convenient and reliable, gas heating provides a continuous fuel supply that eliminates the need for on-site fuel storage and deliveries.
For over 75 years, GEM Plumbing & Heating has been helping homeowners throughout the greater Providence area with gas heating installations. As one of the largest service companies in the country, we deliver superior service when you need it most.
Benefits of Oil-to-Gas Conversion
New England is famous for its harsh winters. If you still rely on oil to heat your home, despite the increasing rarity of oil furnaces, you can benefit in multiple ways by making the switch to natural gas.
- Cleaner and more efficient: Heating oil has, on average, a 50% to 80% efficiency. Natural gas heating is typically over 90% efficient. It’s also the cleanest burning fuel available.
- Saves space: Gas furnaces are smaller than oil ones, so they take up less space and can be installed in more areas.
- Increase your home’s value: Modernizing your home is a great way to improve its value. A more efficient heating system is a big draw for potential buyers if and when you decide to sell your property.
- No more refilling: Even with a large tank and automatic refilling, most oil furnaces require topping up at least once a season. Your home could be at risk of running out of fuel during times of high oil demand.
- Rebates and incentives: Installing a natural gas boiler or furnace can save you up to 30% on your energy bills. You might also qualify for rebates. For instance, Rhode Island Energy currently offers rebates of up to $1,000 for a gas boiler or $600 for a gas furnace.
Natural gas is also cost-effective, as it’s generally less expensive than oil heating.
Trust the Experts at GEM Plumbing & Heating
The plumbers at GEM are experts at installing gas piping systems for all appliances, including natural gas boilers and furnaces. You can depend on our skilled technicians to ensure your gas piping is installed safely and efficiently, adhering to all codes and regulations. We guarantee a seamless installation experience!
Why Choose Us?
Since 1949, GEM Plumbing & Heating has provided trusted heating expertise to Southern New England homeowners. Our more than 400 skilled employees are dedicated to providing you with superior customer service, top-rated products, and professionalism. We also offer 24/7 service and phone support, free estimates for new installations, and convenient financing options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions we receive about oil-to-gas conversions include:
How do you convert from oil to natural gas?
The oil-to-gas heating conversion process is simpler than you might think. You first need to find a professional, accredited heating contractor to perform the work. Once it’s confirmed your home can handle the conversion, the heating specialist will remove and dispose of the existing oil equipment, install the gas connection and equipment, and balance your heating system by checking the radiators and ensuring the heat is distributed evenly and efficiently.
How much does it cost to convert from oil to natural gas heating?
Switching from oil to natural gas heating could save you hundreds of dollars annually while helping to reduce carbon emissions. How much you’ll pay to convert depends mainly on the size and complexity of your home. The good news is that after the initial installation cost, you’ll immediately begin saving on fuel costs.
Is it worth it to switch from oil to natural gas?
In most cases, yes. Changing to natural gas should save you money, as it’s a generally cheaper and more efficient resource. Natural gas also offers more flexibility than oil, as you can use it for appliances like stoves and fireplaces or to heat a swimming pool. Maintaining a natural gas furnace is typically less expensive, as there are no oil changes or dirt and soot buildup.