Clogged drains can be a serious nuisance! From the bathroom to the kitchen, a clogged drain can slow you down, leave unwanted residue behind, and cause all sorts of other problems. Gem Plumbing’s drain team can help you with all your drain needs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be sure to call Gem Plumbing at the first signs of a slowing drain to prevent a major clog or backup.
You might have a clogged drain if you notice any of these signs:
- Water begins to back up out of a sink drain
- Pools of water form around shower drains
- After forming pools, the water drains very slowly
- The toilet bubbles when you run the sink
- Drains make gurgling sounds, particularly after you run the washing machine or dishwasher
- Pools of water form on the floor close to a bathtub or sink
- Your kitchen sink has started to smell like rotten food (and running the disposal hasn’t helped)
There are a few steps you can try to clear your drains before you call a drain cleaning expert:
- Turn the faucet on and fill the sink up partly with water;
- If you have a double kitchen sink, plug one of the drains with a wet rag;
- If you’re trying to unclog the bathtub, plug the overflow hole with a wet rag;
- Next, use a cup plunger to plunge the open drain - work the plunger up and down several times, then pull it off. Repeat this step a few times
If your drain is still clogged, call Gem Plumbing for professional help. Remember, NEVER use chemical drain cleaners as they can be extremely harsh and cause corrosion to your pipes.
How to keep your drains from clogging
The best way to avoid unwanted and frustrating clogs is to perform regular preventative maintenance on your drains. This is the easiest way to keep your home plumbing system happy and healthy - and ultimately, clog-free. Check out the [Gem Home Advocate] membership program for more details about signing up for regular drain maintenance.
If your home isn’t brand new, it’s likely that your pipes are lined with years of buildup - from rust and hair to grease and other harsh minerals. This buildup can cause dangerous corrosion, leaving your pipes damaged. Regular maintenance can save you serious money in the long run by preventing costly repairs or pipe replacements. It also helps prevent plumbing emergencies.
Tree Root Solutions
As pipes age and trees grow, tree roots will often creep into pipes in search of moisture and nutrients. Gem’s plumbers have seen how far tree roots can travel up pipes and how easily they slip in through the tiniest cracks and joints to infiltrate your system. Once a tree root discovers water, the tree will often step up root growth in that area to take advantage of the moisture. As the roots grow, they increase the size of the hole can can cause a major clog or even a burst pipe. It’s incredibly important to take care of tree roots right away, before they ruin your pipes.
Tree Root Solutions
- Rooter work and drain cleaning: The first step to remove the tree root is to punch through the root clog to clear the line and get your pipes functioning again. Next, we’ll investigate the extent of the tree root problem and recommend more permanent solutions.
- Hydro Jetting: For a long-term solution, your technician can clean the pipe using high pressure water jets. The Hydro Jetting machine will thoroughly scour the line to eliminate grease buildup, debris and tree roots. Learn more about our [Hydro Jetting Solutions].
Pipe Lining: Pipe lining is a permanent solution where we line the inside of your pipe to seal off any openings from the inside out, eliminating water leakage.