METERS, RISERS AND PANELS
Questions? We’re Here to Help!
Quality, Friendly Service in Southern New England
Do you know whether your electrical service provides enough energy, efficiently, for your property? We use electricity for just about everything, from heating and cooling our homes to powering our TVs and devices to washing our dishes and laundry.
GEM can install and service electrical meters, risers, and panels. We can also install grounding systems for your electrical service.
ELECTRICAL SERVICE ELEMENTS
- The device that brings electricity into your home from your local utility
- It monitors (“meters”) how much electricity you’re using
- Should be resealed every 2-3 years to avoid water damage
PANEL (BREAKER BOX)
- The panel is a distribution board that divides your electricity into several “circuits”
- Most panels have a series of switches, known as circuit breakers, in two columns
- If you blow a fuse or the electricity goes out in part of your house, check your panel to see if you’ve tripped a circuit breaker
- Before resetting it, verify that the affected circuit is clear of danger like water or loose wires
- Turn off specific breakers if you’re doing work in your home, like installing a new outlet or fixture
- If you have overhead power lines in your neighborhood, you may have a riser installed on your roof to connect to the overhead lines
- Any wiring outside your home need to be inspected regularly
- Cracked wiring can allow water seep into your panel and main breakers, frying your electrical system
- Grounding systems use a thick copper wire to connect your home’s electricity to a grounding device, such as a copper rod in the ground or a cold water pipe
- It re-routes extra energy away from your home – this decreases the risk of burning out your appliances or electrocuting someone in your home
- An improperly grounded home could make your home unsafe during a weather event or power outage
- Make sure your grounding system is properly installed before a storm hits
WHY SHOULD I GET MY ELECTRICAL PANEL INSPECTED?
- The average lifespan of an electrical panel is 25 years
- Overtime, water seeps in through outside wires, affecting the breakers within the panel
- The right distribution of power through your house can be ensured by improving your system
- Ensuring it is properly labeled and up to code
- Maximizing its support to your appliances and home entertainment
MAKE SURE YOUR HOME HAS ENOUGH ELECTRICAL CAPACITY!
When installing new equipment, it’s important to make sure your service panel can handle the load. GEM can always add additional capacity to your electrical panel. We can also inspect and replace it to ensure safety and avoid potential hazards from improperly wired or overloaded circuits. GEM technicians have the experience to size your panel for current and future needs.
Looking to install a solar array, backup generator, or adding a 240 volt circuit for a washer and dryer? GEM Technicians have the experience to handle any size job.
If you need to add more electrical service or replace old equipment, GEM will work with your local utility company to guarantee that your electric upgrade is up to code and done correctly.
For all your other electrical needs, visit the Electrical Services section.
Ready To Talk To A Home Services Specialist?