Winter weather is beautiful in New England, but faces severe challenges when it comes to snow. We’re here to make sure your home and family are ready for the winter storms.
If you’re experiencing a heating, electrical or plumbing issue give HomeX Remote Assist a try. You’ll be connected with a vetted technician over the phone or through video chat to diagnose and even fix your issue virtually.
How Do You Prepare Your Home for a Winter Storm in New England?
Being prepared for a storm is the best way to keep your home and family safe. Here are a few ways to prepare your home for a storm:
- Have a shovel, sand or salt ready for clearing walkways and driveways
- Check that all windows and doors are properly sealed
- Consider insulating your garage and basement to act as a thermal barrier
- Protect or insulate exposed water pipes
- Have your home heating system inspected by a professional
- Stock up on wood, oil, or other means of heating your home
- Clear roof of standing snow and ice
- Keep snowbanks from building up against your house
“How Do I Make Sure My Family is Ready?”
Now that your home is prepared, you need to make sure your family is too! A major winter storm in Rhode Island or Massachusetts can keep you from leaving the house for a few days. Here are some things you can fo to make sure your family is safe inside:
- Stock up on food basics that won’t perish if the power goes out
- Have water bottles in case pipes freeze or municipal water delivery fails
- Fill the bathtub with water, this can be used to flush the toilet if necessary
- Ensure every family has warm clothing layers in case the heating fails
- Have some activities like board games, coloring books, or a deck of cards!
This may seem like over preparing, but a major winter storm can escalate quickly. Once schools are cancelled and roads close, you’ll be glad you were ready ahead of time. When your family is inside during a storm, it’s time to relax and enjoy your time together!
HomeX Remote Assist
Experiencing a problem with your home’s heating, plumbing or electrical systems during the winter? Give HomeX Remote Assist a try. Speak with a vetted technician via a phone call or video chat. Diagnosis of your issue is free and if we’re able to fix your issue virtually it’s just $50! If you’re a member of our Home Advocate membership this service is free to you.
Winter has many surprises, with HomeX Remote Assist be prepared for all of your home’s emergencies.